What's this? It is the beginning of solar graziers developing economic models to show how they incorporate the solar grazing into their business.
Specifics on this model:
- developed in 2019
- multigenerational farm family located in New York State
- array will be over 100 acres located on the family's home farm
- grazing will occur on the lands the family leased to a solar firm
- solar lease is 25 years so grazing is geared towards a 25 year + horizon
- family has experience in the production of cattle, hay, corn, soy, and a variety of other cash crops
- there are off farm jobs and other sources of farm income not represented in this model
- the model is heavy on investment in infrastructure with a view towards employing several family members
- the model assumes some outside help while the family learns sheep and solar grazing
- ASGA hopes to obtain more funding to create additional models, including the more traditional model where the grazing is not occuring on the home farm
- solar graziers can download this model, insert and delete fields to tweak this for accuracy in their region
- ASGA will ask graziers in a year to reconvene, submitting anonymous versions for discussion.
- ASGA will generate a database over time of solar grazing business models and budget for the community to exchange and share.
Join us! Participate in improving on this model. It's just the beginning!