Solar Grazing Mechanics
- How do you know if your pasture has enough nutrition for your animals? Solar pastures are no exception: if you don't test, you don't know. Use forage sampling protocols such as the one developed by our own Niko Kochendoerfer to determine how long a solar pasture will hold a given number of sheep. Sample once per grazing season. Link here: ForageSamplinginPastureASGA
- Other resources include the Nobel Institute's The Basic of Forage Quality. This excellent resource provides guidelines, definitions, and videos on pasture sampling for grazing nutrition.
Grazier's Math, With Apologies
- How many sheep per acre? Click on the image to the left to view and download the presentation.
- Produced by the United States Department of Agriculture's Natural Resource Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS)
- For more information, contact Karen Hoffman, Resource Conservationist - Animal Science & Grazing Management, USDA-NRCS, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (607)334-3231 ext. 7116.